Re: [lfc] Transfer Window/An Epic Swindle

 

I'd agree with Ed, Janet and Khavar.

I'd add a world class central midfielder in the mould of Xabi to that list, just that besides Xavi and Xabi himself, there is a dearth of such players around.

Hope KK can find another Molby (one of the best players ever).

--- On Wed, 1/6/11, ladyinred <ladyinred@kaltio.net> wrote:

From: ladyinred <ladyinred@kaltio.net>
Subject: Re: [lfc] Transfer Window/An Epic Swindle
To: lfc@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wednesday, 1 June, 2011, 12:30 AM

 

On Tuesday 31 May 2011, Senthil Kumar wrote:

> Just out of curiosity where do you think the transfer kitty needs to be

> most spent on - as in which positions?

A top quality pacey wide-man. Which side is open to debate. If you'd asked me

at Xmas, I'd have said a left winger. But Suarez seems to favour that side of

the pitch (although he's also great on the right) so now I'm not sure.

Possibly wide right. But we definitely need a man who can go for the byline,

stretch packed defences and feed in the sort of crosses that Carroll will

turn into goals.

At Xmas I'd also have said that we needed a left full-back. But I've been so

impressed by the lads who've come out of the academy and I'd hate to see them

just relegated to permanent reserves. Bizarrely Glen Johnson's game also

picked up when he switched sides, Flanno and Kelly have the right side

covered, so we may be okay at full back.

The conundrum is the centre back position. Carra's career is on the wane but

the whole defence seems more together when he plays and I'm convinced that

youngsters who came in benefitted from his presence. I think the stats show

that we tend to get better results when Agger plays (but I stand to be

corrected on that). However you never know when he's going to be fit. Skrtel

was shocking in the first half of the season but picked up enormously after

Kenny took over. But which Skrtel will turn up next season? And then there's

Kelly and Wilson. Both are centre backs but they are young and it's a

position where experience brings enormous benefits. I think I'd cash in on

Skrtel and Soto. I love the attitude of the latter but if there's a cup game

against lower league opposition I'd prefer we gave Wilson or Kelly a run out

at centre back. I think we can do better than Skrtel and need someone who is

an improvement in the air.

We probably need another striker to replace N'gog. But the second half of the

season showed that we can score goals without FT, Carroll has yet to show us

what he can do and then there's the likes of Pacheco.

Other than that I hope we don't go for too many signings. I think we need to

offload a fair number of players. But I'd prefer that we focussed on quality

rather than quantity in the transfer market and used the youngsters coming

through to fill out the squad because I think the changes Rafa started at The

Academy/Melwood are now bearing fruit.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment